Two

This week I became a teacher…but I don’t really feel all that different. No epiphanies have come, no revelations…not even much pure excitement or intense frustrations…just more stress than I’ve ever experienced before, which has come mostly from putting together all of my lesson plans and creating posters for them with 18 hours of work each day and a “lucky” 5 hours of sleep each night. I know it’s all going to be worth it though, especially once I can stop treating my students like guinea pigs. I am, after all, their actual summer school teacher doing real instruction, unlike student teaching. This is definitely real and I still haven’t grasped it yet, which is pretty difficult when the direction of your life has shifted as dramatically as mine has in such a short period of time. Just three months ago I was waiting to hear from Teach For America, waiting to turn them down if I were accepted into the corps. I thought my immediate post-college life was supposed to be lived in Los Angeles for a few years, working with companies I was equally as passionate about entailing working with college (or prospective college) students. New York wasn’t even a thought on my mind since it wasn’t my top choice for placement. All I knew for sure was that I was going to return to Argentina for the month of May, leaving just 2 days after my graduation.

One moth in Argentina, a week in NYC, and three weeks at home later I found myself taking on the greatest challenge I have faced in my life up to this point, in a brand new place with brand new people learning brand new skills. While I’d love to go on and on about my feelings, my stresses, my difficulties, and my joys here I really want to write about a 30 second conversation that I was a part of today that has, so far, had the greatest
impact on me (during my interaction with my students).

Just 3 days into being a teacher and I have already faced my first collision with racial awareness. Part of the preparation for Institute was to read specified texts on all sorts of topics: lesson planning and delivery, elementary and secondary literacy, and many more. They were all great, necessary, and engaging texts that I have begun putting into practice and am using in my teaching. The one that hit me the most, however, was not about instruction or instruction planning at all. It was, rather, the diversity and culture text. At one point I was even called out pretty clearly within the book. When discussing the idea of racial identification and white privilege, it read that all future corps members, of all races, genders, and sexual orientations, need to be aware of these things in their classroom. It emphasized, however, that those who are white, male, affluent, straight, able-bodied, Christian, or able speak English need to pay special attention to what’s discussed in this text. What I found was that I did not resonate with much of thoughts on racial awareness that was discussed, which was the point of calling me, and corps members like me, out. I had never even been faced with the thought that being white gives you privilege in this nation and in this world. I also have never identified with a “white group” or “male group” or “affluent group” or any of these groups (well, except Christian but I don’t’ count that because it’s comfortable often times to be a Christian within these white, affluent communities…which is interesting when you read in the Bible that Christians are supposed to face ridicule…maybe something to think about.) The text explained that there is a process by which black, Latino, poor, and other minority children go through in identifying with one of those descriptions. This was demonstrated today when one of the girls in my class, Julia we’ll call her, made a comment to another student while we were reading:

“You sound white when you read.” she said to the other student we’ll call Joe.
“…Thanks.” responded Joe, seriously and defensively after a pause.
“No offense Mr. Simmerman,” said Julia as I was trying to figure out how to respond.

Both Julia and Joe are Hispanic.

While the readings in the text prepared me to understand why comments like these are made and where they come from, it didn’t offer a crash course on tackling these issues. As a brand new teacher, let’s just say my response was less than preferable (I favored ignoring the comment and quickly moved on rather than address the situation).

There are two primary questions about this conversation I would like to pose. The first is why did Joe respond in that way? Why did he say thanks, and what does that mean? This is almost as troubling to me as the comment made by Julia. The second question, one that’s more of a reflection that I will surely be thinking about throughout my time in the Bronx, is how can I combat the view that being educated and being able to read is viewed by many students as being “white” – something that is clearly not desirable by these adolescent students? The no offense part tells me that Julia doesn’t necessarily categorize me as the “white” person that has brought her to the conclusion that “white” is something bad, but still, when you have peer pressure saying that the moment you strive to be educated you are no longer a part of your race, then how can students find any desire to advance their learning in school?

As part of something I hope to do in every installment of “Stories from a Streaker,” I will leave you with (or put somewhere within the story) a quote that either specifically pertains to something within the installment or has simply came to mind while writing. The following quote is one I just ran across from President Lyndon B. Johnson:

“Until justice is blind to color, until education is unaware of race, until opportunity is unconcerned with the color of men's skins, emancipation will be a proclamation but not a fact.”

Four decades later, we have a long way to go, and this is why I streak.


for the wild,
andrew

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Hey Andrew,

So first, I have to say that I can't believe how grown-up and teacher-like you look in your picture, wow!

Second, I love that you are blogging about your experience. You are literally being thrown into situations that I've only learned about in my counseling classes. I got a tiny taste of it in my internship when I ran a group for 9th grade students (who all happened to be African American) that had failed all of their classes in the past semester - they would often comment to me about being a white girl, but said that I was "cool" and often charged each other about acting "white." I'm not sure if you've learned about a way to address those kinds of comments, but it might be interesting if you called students out on those kinds of comments whenever they occur, like saying, "Julia, that's an interesting thing to say, and I've heard a few other comments like that lately, so let's talk about it: is it bad to read well? is that really considered a white thing? You said, 'No offense, Mr. Simmerman," so should I have been offended?" etc. I just found it was interesting to talk with my students about it because it allowed them to feel more comfortable discussing race. I'm not sure if that'd be okay in your particular school, but I really think we could all learn so much from the students by hearing their thoughts about what they've been through; so many people don't take the time to listen, which is why students sometimes fall through the cracks.

I'm sure you've already read the knapsack of white privilege article, but if not, check it out - it definitely took me by surprise and awhile to recognize that I have had a certain privilege others haven't, very eye-opening to learn, but then, what do you do about it? How do we really advocate for others who haven't had that same type of privilege? An author who really highlighted what you've mentioned about the people of New York and the effects of elite development ventures on poor children is Jonathan Kozol. What he writes is heartbreaking and it's worse to know that not much has changed for NYC's education and welfare system in the last 20 years since he wrote the books. His books are pretty amazing though, so if you have a chance (in all of your free time, of course), I recommend reading them.

Anyway, I hope you're doing well and wish you confidence, courage, and wisdom as you start this new school year! :)

Blessings,
Ashley Marlow